College of Education *
College of Education *
Undergraduate Studies Student Services Office

Undergraduate Forms and Policies

The forms and policies below will assist you through your undegraduate program and will provide important information and knowledge to fulfill your degree requirements.

The College of Education Undergraduate Student Handbook has been created by the Office of Student Services as the main guide for all undergraduate students in the College.

undergraduate forms
Applying for Graduation

Graduation Candidate Application. Students must submit a graduation application the semester of planned graduation. This is only necessary for those students who will have the requisite number of credits to graduate in one of the terms below. After applying, if you do not have enough credits, a letter will be sent informing you that another application will need to be re-submitted.

Criminal History Disclosure Form

Criminal History Disclosure Form
Required form for the Professional Program application, this form needs to be notarized (PDF file)

A criminal history disclosure form is required for all students in the College of Education who are entering a field placement (e.g., EDCI 280, EDHD 220 and Student Teaching Yearlong Internship). Criminal History Disclosure Forms can be obtained through the Office of Student Services (1204 Benjamin).

The disclosure form must be on file in Room 1204 Benjamin before beginning any placement in the local schools. Questions regarding the Criminal History Disclosure Form should be directed to the Office of Student Services (301-405-2364).

NOTE: No student will be permitted to remain in a class/school with a required field component unless a Criminal History Disclosure Form is on file.

Exception to Policy Form

Exception to Policy Form
For student making a petition for an exception to policy (Word file).

Foundational Competencies

Foundational Competencies Students must submit the Foundational Competencies Acknowledgement form (word file) to the Office of Student Services. Please retain a copy for your records.

Orientation Documentation/Forms (Student Handbook & Foundational Competencies Policy)

Orientation Documentation & Forms
All incoming Education majors must read the Student Handbook and the Foundational Competencies Policy/forms . There are two forms to complete and sign: Self-Assessment and Foundational Acknowledgement Forms. Please ensure you keep a copy of both forms for your records and submit original to your advisor.

Undergraduate Degree Audit Request

Undergrad Degree Audit Request
All Education majors must request a degree audits at two points within the program 1) When applying to the professional program, 2) The semester prior to student teaching (PDF file).

Permission to Enroll Form (Online)
Permission to Enroll in more than 16 credits Form
Permission to Enroll in more than 16 credits form

To be eligible to enrolled in more than 16 credits during a semester, student's must submit a Permission to Enroll in More than 16 credits form. Please complete the form and return to your advisor.

undergraduate program policies and procedures
Academic Audit

Audits are the first step in the process of evaluating a student's progress toward meeting the requirements for program completion and graduation.

All Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary education, and Special Education majors must submit a degree audit with their application to the Professional Teacher Education Program

Audits are conducted in the Office of Student Services (Room 1204 Benjamin Building). Academic audits typically take one-two weeks to be processed. Students must present a photo ID in order to pick up the completed audit.

Academic Clemency

Undergraduate Academic Clemency

Note: While the grades and credits are removed from the calculation of the student's grade point average, the grades and credits are NOT removed from the student's transcript. Like a birth certificate, UM transcripts are official state documents and cannot be altered.

**Please be aware that most graduate and professional schools do not honor the clemency notation and will recompute applicant grade point averages.**

Academic Probation/Dismissal
Cancellation of Registration

If you wish to cancel your registration, you must do so before the first day of classes. Failure do so may result in financial oblgiation to the University - even if you never attend the course.

Please carefully consult the Schedule of Classes for the refund policies and deadlines.

CORE/General Education Liberal Arts and Sciences Studies Program (CORE)

The campus-wide general education program at UM is called CORE/General Education. CORE/General Education makes up about one-third of your undergraduate courses and offers one of the best opportunities you will ever have to explore different fields of study. The CORE/General Educaiton program has four major components: Fundamental Studies, Distributive Studies, Advanced Studies, and Human Cultural Diversity; and one optional component: Interdisciplinary and Emerging Issues. For detailed information on CORE/General Education, please refer to General Education Requirements in the UM Undergraduate Catalog.

Classification of Students
Double Degree

A student who wishes to declare a double degree must satisfactorily complete the regularly prescribed requirements of both degree programs and a minimum of 150 credits (180 credits for special education majors). At least 18 of the credits applied to the second degree must be in course work not applied to the requirements for the primary degree program. As early as possible, but in no case later than one full academic year before the expected date of graduation, the student must file with the department or programs involved, as well as with the appropriate deans, formal programs showing the courses to be offered to meet the major, supporting area, college, and general education programs. If two colleges are involved in the double degree program, the student must designate which college will be responsible for the maintenance of records and certification of general education requirements. Final approval of a double degree program must be obtained from each of the appropriate departments and college(s).

Double Major

A student who wishes to declare a double major must satisfactorily complete the regularly prescribed requirements of both major programs and a minimum of 120 credits. Students must obtain written permission in advance from the appropriate departments or programs and colleges. Courses taken for one major may be counted as appropriate as part of the degree requirements for the general education programs. If two colleges are involved in the double major program, the student must designate which college will be responsible for the maintenance of records and certification of general education requirements.

NOTE: All secondary education majors are required to have an academic content major. Fully articulated dual major programs have been developed between various academic disciplines in the Arts and Sciences (e.g., art, English, geography, government, history, math, biology, chemistry, geology, physics, foreign languages) and education. With careful advising, freshmen are able to complete the university's core general education requirements along with the academic major and education major within eight semesters.

Dropping a Course
Fundamental Studies Block

Fundamental Studies Block

NOTE: Because ENGL 101 and the mathematics fundamental study requirements are part of the gateway for admission to teacher education, the College of Education strictly enforces the Math and English fundamental studies blocks.

Hold File

During the registration period, the Office of the Registrar creates two types of waitlists, one for majors and one for non-majors. As non-majors register for courses, they are placed on the hold file. When enrollment reaches the course maximum, the majors are placed on the waitlist, and non-majors are still placed in the course hold file. As majors drop the class, waitlisted majors are enrolled in the course first. When the waitlist of majors is exhausted, non-majors from the hold file are enrolled in the course. Please be aware that being on a hold file does not guarantee enrollment in the course. In fact, many students on a hold file never receive the desired course, so students should consider alternative courses as a back-up.

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence is available for students wishing to take time away from the university for personal or academic reasons with the intention of returning the next semester. The leave of absence status is especially helpful for recipients of Federal Financial Aid. The student is not considered to be withdrawn, and is still enrolled for purposes of deferring repayment of federal loans. The leave of absence is only available for the last 60 days of the semester, and the student must return the following semester. (For students using this for Financial Aid deferment, only one leave of absence can be granted in any 12 month period.) With an approved leave of absence, the student may automatically return the next semester, and all registration privileges will be extended. Additional information and forms for applying for a leave of absence are available from Room 1113, Mitchell Building.


Pass/Fail policy

NOTE: The College will not give students permission to take courses required for the major or for CORE on a P/F basis.

Permission to Enroll (Online)

Once enrolled at UM, students must complete an online Permission to Enroll form in order to take a class at another institution. For more information please visit The Transfer Credit Center and the Undergraduate catalog policy regarding Courses taken at another institution.

Plus-Minus Grading Policy

Please review the Undergraduate catalog Marking System policy.

Repeat Policy

There is a limit to the number of times a student may repeat a course.

Schedule Adjustment Period

During the Schedule Adjustment period students can make changes to their schedule.

For Summer Sessions I and II, this period is shortened to the first 5 days of classes. For Winterterm and the 3 week accelerated Summer courses, schedule adjustment occurs during the first 3 days of classes.

Stamp/Electronic Stamp

Electronic stamps are required for before being eligible to register for courses.

Study Abroad

The goal of the University of Maryland Study Abroad Office is to enable students to incorporate a summer, winter, semester, or year abroad into their degree program at Maryland. Study abroad increases awareness of other cultures and languages while providing a comparative international perspective. Students can study in London, Brazil, Vietnam - almost any place in the world! The Study Abroad Office provides information and advisement about all of these opportunities. Given the scheduling and sequencing requirements associated with the professional education course work, students are advised to explore Study Abroad opportunities early in their college career (i.e., Freshman or Sophomore years).

The College of Education also offers study abroad opportunities which are short programs conducted over the summer and winter breaks and provides additional international and global experiences.

If considering Study Abroad, please consult an Advisor.


Testudo is UM's interactive student resources website. Here you can register for classes, request transcripts, pay your bill, change your address, view the university catalog or schedule of classes, check your financial aid, and take advantage of MANY other online services.

Virtual Electronic Network University Scheduler (VENUS)

Students can use VENUS to help with course planning. VENUS assembles schedules by considering all the possible combinations that can be produced with the courses that a student specifies.


When a course reaches maximum enrollment for a course, students are no longer allowed to register for this course. Instead, you may submit a request to be placed on a waitlist. As students drop the course, waitlisted students are added to the course roster.

During the Schedule Adjustment Period (first 10 days of class), waitlisted students must check in daily (via Testudo or in person). Students who do not check in will be removed from the waitlist. Students moved from the waitlist into the course must confirm registration into the course on the same day notification was received. If confirmation is not received, then you may be dropped from the course altogether. Please be aware that being on a course waitlist does not guarantee enrollment/registration. Other alternative courses should be picked as a back-up. If you have any questions, please consult with your advisor.

Top of Page