College of Education *
College of Education *
Graduate Studies Student Services Office


Listed below are forms that you may use as you advance through your program as a graduate student in the College of Education.

The forms listed below are published by the College of Education.

Graduate School forms may be found here.

Forms Published by the College of Education:
Advisor Area Change (pdf)

Form used to request a advisor change.

Deans Representative Role Form (pdf) To be submitted with Nomination of Committee Form

A form that is required with the submission of the doctoral Nomination of the Dissertation Committee form.

Doctoral Approved Program Form (pdf)

A form that may be used to list coursework that is required for the doctoral degree, and a cover sheet for the required signatures.   Programs may choose to require, or not require, this form.  Students should check with their advisor on the requirement.

Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (pdf)

A form signed by a minimum of three committee members approving the proposed dissertation study. The advisor and the student should discuss who should serve as members of the committee. It is not necessary to seek official approval (by the Department, College or Graduate School) of the committee members prior to the proposal meeting. (However, please note that another similar committee form, the Nomination of the Dissertation Committee Form, is required prior to the FINAL oral defense that must have official approval by the Department, College, and Graduate School.) 
Note: Students undertaking research using human subjects will need to seek and obtain approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to starting their researchWhat is an IRB?)

Degree Change (pdf)

A form that is used to request a change to the degree option you were admitted to.  For example, if you were admitted to the M.A. degree status but wish to change the degree option to the M.Ed., you will need to submit the Degree Change form. Please note that if a Master's Approved Program Form (MAPF) was submitted under the original degree option, the MAPF will need to be revised and resubmitted to reflect the requirements of the new degree option.  To change to a higher degree option you must reapply for admission.

Exit Survey, College of Education

The College of Education will request graduates to file an exit survey.  In the semester of graduation, graduates will receive, by e-mail, instructions and passwords in order to file the survey on-line. This survey information is used to determine how education programs can be improved. Your participation in the survey is important to the College as it enables us to evaluate our strengths and weaknesses. More importantly, this survey gives you the opportunity to assess your professional competence and to evaluate the University of Maryland's performance in preparing this important endeavor. 

EDMS Course Equivalency

A form that is used to request the review of previous coursework that may be equivalent to the required EDMS research course(s). Support documentation is required in addition to the form and must be reviewed by the Program of Measurement, Statistics and Evaluation (EDMS). EDMS coursework is only waived based on the approval of an equivalency review by the EDMS faculty. Advisors and programs have the right to deny a request for an equivalency review.

Comprehensive Examination Application

Students should check with their program/department for applications, processes, and deadlines.

Foundational Competencies Policy/College of Education Technical Standards

All graduate students who are in an approved program leading to initial teacher certification, or advanced certification, in professional preparation programs are expected to demonstrate that they are prepared to work with children and youth in educational settings. This preparation results from the combination of successful completion of university coursework and field/internship experiences and the demonstration of important human characteristics and dispositions that all educators should possess. For a complete description of the policy and standards click on the link above.

Graduate Studies Registration/Adjustment Petition (pdf)

A form that is used to request permission to register past the deadline, or to change your schedule for the current semester. Any requests for a late registration or adjustment of coursework for a previous semester are considered "historic" and must receive the approval of the Graduate School. For historic requests students must submit a different form titled  "Petition for Waiver of Regulation" published by the Graduate School. 

Oral Announcement (pdf)

A form that is used to announce the date and meeting place of a doctoral student's final oral defense of the dissertation. This form is submitted to the program to which the student is admitted. Departments are responsible for publicizing the defense date among the faculty and students in the Department.

Provisional Removal (pdf)

This form is in a memorandum format that advisors may use in order to remove a provisional admission/enrollment condition for a student once the condition has been met. Advisors may also create their own memorandum for removal of a condition if they choose.

Seminar Paper Title Page Format (pdf)

A form that outlines how the title page of the seminar paper should be formatted. 

Forms Published by the GRADUATE SCHOOL

Important Deadlines for Graduating Students
Steps Toward Graduation