Special Education Program Overview
The Special Education Program is part of the Department of Counseling, Higher Education, and Special Education (CHSE). Available programs in special education are designed to prepare highly qualified teachers at the undergraduate and graduate level, to provide undergraduate and graduate level course content, field experiences, and internships, and to prepare researchers, teacher educators, and leaders in the field of special education.
Special Education Certification Programs
Special Education Undergraduate (B.S.) and Graduate (M.Ed.) Certification Program options are presented below.
- B.S. Elementary/Middle Special Education Teacher Preparation Program
- B.S. Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education Preparation Program Dual Certification
- (On HOLD ) M.Ed. in Elementary/Middle Special Education Teacher Preparation Program (one year, full time program)*
- M.Ed. in Elementary/Middle and Severe Disabilities Special Education Teacher Preparation Program (two year, full time program)
- M.Ed. in Special Education with Severe Disabilities Certification Only
Special Education Graduate Programs
The Special Education Program offers the following graduate programs.
- M.Ed. Specialty Program (30 credits)
- M.A. in Special Education (36 credits)
- Advanced Graduate Specialist Certificate (30 credits beyond master’s degree)
- Ph.D. Program
- ProPELL Ph.D. Program
The Special Education Program in the College of Education at the University of Maryland ranked #11 for 2015 in the US News and World Report. In addition, the university community, the state of Maryland, and the Washington, DC metropolitan area provide an unparalleled setting for undergraduate and graduate study. The program’s proximity to the United States Congress, advocacy and professional organizations, and governmental agencies, including the US Department of Education - Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), provides opportunities for on-site experiences for prospective students. Public and private schools in Maryland provide opportunities for students to gain experience with a culturally and linguistically diverse student population in urban, suburban, and rural settings.