The broad goals
of the center consist of the following:
(1) Form an organization of literacy researchers in the
College of Education at the University of Maryland, College Park.
(2) Contribute to the field of literacy at the national
interpreting and synthesizing research on the following
processes of literacy,
development and learning of literacy,
contexts that facilitate the learning and use of literacy,
programs that contribute to literacy development,
testing of literacy
education in literacy and
learning and instruction for minority students.
(3) Conduct multi-disciplinary analyses of important
problems facing the profession of education by utilizing the expertise of Center members.
(4) Communicate fully within the Center by exchanging
research, progress, perspectives, and emerging questions.
(5) Provide an institutional and professional identity
for faculty, students, and administrators interested in literacy research at the
University of Maryland, College Park.
(6) Provide opportunities for doctoral students to gain
knowledge of current research issues, funding practices, and implications of research for
(7) Create team-based research projects among the
members of the Center.
(8) Afford the College of Education recognition for the
exceptionally productive literacy researchers on the faculty.