|Back To Module2|
Module #3 - Designing a DAP Rich Classroom Environment
Estimated time to complete:
Three classroom sessions (infant, preschool, primary classrooms) plus completion of classroom organization scheme assignment (approximately 15-20 hours)
To develop expertise in designing selected components of an early childhood classroom; to consider use of space, materials, schedules and activities in the early childhood classroom; to communicate this knowledge in a well-organized manner; to use electronic resources to create a classroom environment.
Concept(s) learned in this module:
Principles of good classroom organization (physical environment, scheduling, use of materials and equipment, activities); DAP principles as they apply to organizing the classroom environment.
Standards addressed in this module(Praxis, K-12):
NCATE/NAEYC: 1.2.2 (Child Development and Learning): Create and modify environments and experiences to meet the individual needs of all children; 2.1 (Curriculum Development and Implementation): Plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum and instructional practices; 2.1.5: Create, evaluate and select developmentally appropriate materials, equipment and environments; 2.4 Establish and maintain physically and psychologically safe and healthy learning environments for children; 2.4.1 Demonstrate understanding of the influence of the physical setting, schedule, routines and transitions on children.
PRAXI II (ECE): IV (Planning and Implementing Curriculum): Organizing and managing the physical learning environment: use of materials, equipment, indoor space and outdoor space.
Technology-enhanced instructional strategies utilized in this module:
Exploration of multiple electronic resources to create a physical classroom layout; develop a list of DAP equipment and supplies; create a classroom schedule and review instructional ideas for classroom activities.
*Student grouping: Individual, paired, small group, whole class, etc.
Components Brief description of module activities StudentGrouping* Materials/ Technology Engagement
- Exemplary classroom environments, materials, schedules and activities will be reviewed during class sessions
Whole group, small group Multimedia cart;TIMS cartVideotapes Exploration
- Students will explore additional resources using web sites; suggestions on external links at Blackboard.com; discussion sessions on Blackboard.com
Individual;pairs Internet Explanation
- Students develop a schema for designing their classroom environment (physical, equipment/supplies, schedule, activities); rationale for age group and type of setting
Individual;pairs Internet, graphics software Extension
- Students create their classroom environment organization scheme singly or in pairs; some will be posted on Blackboard; all will be posted on homepages; additional links for resources will also be posted on Blackboard
Individual;pairs Internet resources,Graphics software,Teacher WebBlackboard.com Evaluation
- Instructor evaluates organization schemes and provides feedback to groups/individualsClassroom organization scheme rubric used
Individual;pairs Email, Discussion session on Blackboard
Expected module outcomes:
A complete classroom organization scheme using an array of electronically based resources; adaptable to student electronic or hard portfolio.
Performance-based assessment of module outcomes:
Classroom design diagram
Large and Small Group Activities
Posting of these items on TeacherWeb and/or Blackboard
|Back To Module2|
Direct questions and comments to Webmaster
Last Modified June 8, 2002©University of Maryland