College of Education *
College of Education *

Financial Aid

The University and our department recognize the high cost of graduate education today and try to offer financial assistance to qualified students through a variety of programs. We hope that this page will provide you with useful information concerning how to obtain financial assistance for graduate study in Education Policy and Leadership.

International students are eligible for financial aid. Your application form will include a question on whether you wish to be indicated for financial aid. You are also advised to look for graduate assistantships elsewhere on campus.

Financial assistance for graduate study is generally divided into two categories:

accent picture
  • Merit-Based Assistance
    • Fellowships and Scholarships
    • Graduate Assistantships
  • Need-Based Assistance
    • Loans

For more details about the various types of financial assistance offered by the campus please visit the Office of Student Financial Aid

Merit-Based Assistance

Each of the awards described in this section is based on a student's academic performance and potential. For all departmental awards, consideration is given to a student's past academic performance, work experience, recommendations, and GRE/MAT achievement.

Fellowships and Scholarships

The Department is able to award a very limited number of Graduate School fellowships each year. These fellowships are awarded only to full-time graduate students and provide tuition support and additional living stipends. All doctoral applications will be considered for these fellowships and no additional forms need to be submitted.

There are also a number of fellowships and scholarships offered through the College of Education, the University, and through external sources which may provide tuition support and/or living allowance. Students must apply for these awards on their own, but the links that follow provide valuable information on searching for fellowships and scholarships.

For more information concerning fellowships and scholarships, please visit:

The College of Education's Scholarship webpage

The University's Scholarships webpage, and

The Graduate Fellowship Office webpage

Graduate Assistantships

The Department offers a limited number of Graduate Assistantships each year. Graduate assistantships provide full or partial tuition support and stipends with the requirement that students work for the Department either 10 hours a week (for partial assistantships) or 20 hours a week (for full assistantships). Graduate assistants may be given teaching, research, or administrative assignments. All Ph.D. applicants who are offered full-time admissions will be considered for an assistantship and fellowship. For best consideration for fellowships, applicants should apply by the December 1st preferred deadline.

A large number of assistantships are also available throughout the campus, and many students regularly find assistantships in other departments and offices on campus. For any assistantship outside of the Teaching and Learning, Policy and Leadership, students must apply directly to the unit offering the assistantship, as one would for a regular job.

Listed below are several campus websites that provide information on the various sources of financial aid available. In addition, please be sure to join the TLPL listserv to receive announcements about graduate assistantship opportunities sent by other graduate students and faculty members. These announcements appear randomly throughout the year as positions open up.

Office of Student Financial Aid
Information on student loans and more. The phone number is (301) 314-9000 if you prefer to call.

College of Education Scholarship Opportunities
Hosted by the Office of Student Services, this webpage reviews financial aid opportunities for students of education.

Graduate School Fellowships
This webpage provides information for graduate student fellowships, travel grants, taxes, health insurance and other finance-related topics.

Graduate Assistant Job Postings
The webpage for Current Students has a section on Careers and Employment where campus units submit postings for graduate assistantships.

Some other places to look are:

Need-Based Assistance

Many students support their graduate studies fully or partially through Stafford loans, Work Study, or Private/Alternative loans. For information concerning all of these options, visit the Office of Student Financial Aid webpage.