- Candise Lin, doctoral candidate in the Human Development program has received a National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Research Award. November 2012
- The following HDQM Faculty received recognition for their outstanding achievements: Patricia A. Alexander (Regents Faculty Award for Mentoring); Ann A. Battle (COE Distinguished Outreach Award); Gregory Hancock (COE Distinguished Scholarship Award); Melanie Killen (Director of Graduate Studies of the Year Award); Andre Rupp (AERA Division D Significant Contribution to Research Methodology Award); and both Natasha Cabrera and Meredith Rowe (ADVANCE Award). Summer 2012
- More news...
John T. Guthrie, Professor Emeritus
General Research Area:
Cognitive and motivational aspects of reading and learning; psychology of learning and instruction in classroom contexts.
Areas of Student Supervision:
Cognitive, motivational, and contextual influences on reading and conceptual learning; structural equational modeling with preexisting data; experimental studies in classroom settings; prefer students with experience in schools or educational settings.
Guthrie, J. T., Wigfield, A., & You, W. (in press). Instructional contexts for engagement and achievement in reading. In†S. Christensen, A. Reschly, & C. Wylie (Eds.),†Handbook of research on student engagement. New York: Springer Science.††
Ho, A. N., & Guthrie, J. T. (in press). Patterns of association among multiple motivations and aspects of achievement in reading.†Reading Psychology.
Guthrie, J. T., & McRae, A. (2011). Reading engagement among African American and European American students. In S. J. Samuels & A. E. Farstrup (Eds.), What research has to say about reading instruction (4th ed.). Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
Guthrie, J. T., Wigfield, A., & Klauda, S. L. (Eds.) (in press). Adolescents' engagement in academic literacy, Sharjah, UAE: Bentham Science Publishers.
Guthrie, J. T., Coddington, C. S., & Wigfield, A. (2009). Profiles of motivation for reading among African American and Caucasian students. Journal of Literacy Research, 41, 317-353.
Guthrie, J. T., McRae, A., Coddington, C. S., Klauda, S. L., Wigfield, A., & Barbosa, P. (2009). Impacts of comprehensive reading instruction on diverse outcomes of low-achieving and high-achieving readers. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 42, 195-214.
Honors and Awards:
- University of Maryland College of Education Scholarship Award, 2006.
- University of Illinois, Distinguished Alumni Award, 2006
- University of Maryland Regentís Faculty Award, 2004.
More information on John Guthrie