Multiple Pathways to Chinese Language Teacher Certification
Two Undergraduate Options for Chinese Language Teacher Certification
1. Four-Year Double Major in Chinese and Secondary Foreign Language Education with Certification
(for details, see www.admissions.umd.edu)
2. Five-Year Integrated Master’s Degree (B.A. + M.Ed. in five years) with Certification
- Both options above are full-time or part-time
- Start Fall or Spring semester
Two Graduate Options for Chinese Language Teacher Certification
Option 1: Maryland Master’s Certification, Foreign Language Education: Chinese.
This is a master’s-with-certification option. Complete 42 graduate credits to earn both initial teacher certification to teach Chinese and a Master’s degree in Education.
Intensive MCERT program
Regular Master’s program
TO APPLY (5 steps):
1. Complete the appropriate application at http://www.gradschool.umd.edu/admissions/
This will include an essay, letters of recommendation, official transcripts from all universities and college attended (undergraduate 3.0 grade point average out of a possible 4.0 required), and an interview. A transcript evaluation will be completed to verify appropriate content coursework.
2. Provide additional details about other prior relevant experience in Chinese language, linguistics, literature, culture, and/or history at http://www.education.umd.edu/EDCI/CCLTCD/Statement.pdf and email as an attachment to: CCLTCD@umd.edu
3. Complete Praxis I (to register to take the test on campus, call 301-314-7688 or go to www.ets.org). You must pass have a composite score of 527 completed by entry or early in program.
4. Take both the ACTFL Chinese Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and the Writing Proficiency Test (WPT). Qualifying score is the Intermediate High Level. OPI should be completed by entry; WPT should be completed by entry or early in program. To register, print and fill out ACTFL form at:
5. International applicants may need to take the TOEFL exam. For more information, go to: www.ies.umd.edu
Option 2: Post-Baccalaureate Certification in Teaching Chinese
This is a certification-only option, with no master’s degree awarded. Complete 30 credits to complete requirements for initial teacher certification to teacher Chinese.
- Full-time or part-time (Final semester or internship will be full-time.)
- Begins Summer or Fall semester
TO APPLY (5 steps):
1. Download, complete the attached application at:
Return the hard copy of completed application form to: Howard Stein, 0307 Benjamin Building, College of Education, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
2.-5. The same as above
For more information on graduate options, contact Howard Stein at CCLTCD@umd.edu
or go to http://www.education.umd.edu/EDCI/CCLTCD/index.html