1940 <<more details>>
Around 1940, the College of Education moves from the Agriculture (Skinner) Building to McDonnell Hall.
1941 <<more details>>
The College confers its first Master's degree of Education (M.Ed). The National Youth Administration collaborates with the University in training its students and local youth for defense industries in a machine/metal-working shop on campus.
1942 <<more details>>
In order to accelerate graduation during wartime, the University institutes a three-semester system.
1943 <<more details>>
The College confers its first doctoral degree (Ph.D.). Arnold Joyal becomes Acting Dean during 1943-1946 while Harold R.W.Benjamin serves in the U.S. military during World War II. The College establishes a separate Childhood Education (Nursery School) curriculum. Around 1943, Industrial Education moves with the Engineering Department to H.J. Patterson Hall on the Mall.
1944 <<more details>>
In March 1944, President Byrd approves a return to the semester system. The Campus Reading Clinic enjoys enormous success.
1945 <<more details>>
Professors R. Lee Hornbake and S. Grant Conner join the Department of Industrial Education. The College offers a master's program in Elementary School Curriculum and Teaching. The Department of Industrial Education offers graduate work for African-American students at its Baltimore Division.
1946 <<more details>>
Harold R.W. Benjamin serves on the Preparatory Commission for UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization) in London in May 1946. Henry Brechbill is appointed as Acting Dean in his absence.
1947 <<more details>>
The July 1947 edition of Maryland: The Alumni Publication of the University of Maryland features the College of Education. Daniel Prescott founds the Institute for Child Study. The Board of Regents establishes a university extension division, the College of Special and Continuation Studies.
1948 <<more details>>
Edna McNaughton founds the University Nursery/Kindergarten in October. Twelve children are housed in Building FF, one of the temporary barracks buildings in "The Gulch." Early in 1948, the College of Education moves from McDonnell Hall back to its original location in the Agriculture (Skinner) Building. A Workshop for Child Study, led by Daniel Prescott, is held for African-American graduate students at Bowie State Teachers College.
1949 <<more details>>
The Institute for Child Study/Department of Human Development becomes an official department within the College. The College confers its first Doctor of Education degree (Ed.D.).